Monday, October 6, 2008

The fun part of trial prep

Sometimes, every once in a while, trial prep is fun. Usually, it is dull and dry - interview witnesses, read police and lab and medical reports, plan cross exams of peripheral witnesses and so on.

But sometimes you hit something good - maybe even good enough to get a case dismissed. I was discussing the case with my client and she told me that the complaining witness was a pervert - just as an aside during the conversation. When I inquired further, she said that he would brush against her, try to look down her blouse or up her skirt, and make inappropriate comments while they were at work.

So, just for kicks, I checked the state sex offender registry.

Bingo!

The complaining witness - the state's star witness - is a convicted child molester. His offense happened in a distant county and city from the one he now lives in, and I am guessing that he will not be all that excited about me spending the entire trial calling him a child molester and waving certified copies of convictions around at the jury. Small towns are funny things - once anyone knows something, then everyone knows it.

In any case, my client's case is strong and has a good chance of winning on the merits - this will, I hope, be just enough to push it over the edge.

Currently listening to: Metallica - "Death Magnetic"

No comments: